About Rethink Waste
Newfoundlanders and Labradorians have made great strides toward achieving our 50 per cent waste diversion goal, but there is more we can do to reduce the burden on our landfills and create a cleaner and healthier environment.
Rethink Waste is a call to action that supports the need to change how we manage our waste and encourages all Newfoundlanders and Labradorians not only to think differently, but also act differently.
Everything you need to know about managing your waste is now online.
RethinkWasteNL.ca provides Newfoundlanders and Labradorians with easy access to everything we need to know about managing our waste – all on one website.
Waste management services vary by region, but no matter where you live, work or play, RethinkWasteNL.ca can help you find a place for your waste.
Education is key to helping people understand the impact of our waste and to changing our behaviours so that we create less waste, reuse everything we can and recycle more things, more often.
Why should we Rethink Waste?
When everyone does their part to keep waste out of our landfills, the economic, environmental and health benefits add up.
- Using a product to its full extent conserves natural resources, saves energy and reduces pollution. It also extends the life of the product.
- Reducing, reusing and recycling also extends the life of our landfills since generating less garbage mean less space required to “store” our waste.
- Keeping waste out of landfills reduces the greenhouse gases that are released from as the material breaks down.
- Diverting waste reduces collection and disposal costs.
- It’s the right thing to do – for our own health and well-being and for generations to come.
The Provincial Solid Waste Management Strategy
RethinkWasteNL.ca supports the goals of Provincial Solid Waste Management Strategy and is managed by the Multi-Materials Stewardship Board in collaboration with regional waste management authorities.
Click here to learn more about the Strategy.